Sunday 29 April 2012

A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Lone Step

I like physical challenges and I have sprint a many marathons in my life.  I've hiked the Overland Track in Tasmania, Inca Trail in Peru, Mount Kinabalu in Borneo and the Annapurna region of Nepalese Himalayas.  Perhaps my proudest and most enjoyable achievement though was when I hiked the thousand-kilometre Bibbulmun Track in Western Australia. I do not forget the thoughts I had the evening prior to I started.  It was the middle of summer at the forecast heat for the next day was 40C.  I had planned well and I was in good physical condition but the sheer enormity regarding the task ahead filled my thoughts.  1000km is an extended method to drive but here I was about to walk through the heat of summer carrying all I wanted on my back. As I set out that morning on what should be an epic seven-week journey, I was reminded regarding the words regarding the ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu.  He famously spoke about that "A journey of a thousand miles should begin with a lone step."  Consequently my path was only a thousand kilometres, from where I stood it seemed like a thousand miles!  As tentatively began, these words were my inspiration.  It was the reassurance that every journey, even the longest, begins from where you stand.  To have any hope of reaching your path you should actually take that first step. In reality though, my journey actually began months before.  My first step on that warm February day was the beginning regarding the walk but there was something that propelled me toward that moment.  A very powerful force and determining factor that once harnessed, left me no decision but to grow to active.  It was the fuel that not only ignited my dream, but carried me through with unwavering focus to the end.             So, what was this decisive force, this motivating factor that guaranteed I'd take action, pass landmarks and fulfil my dream?  The answer is my DECISION.  Prior to I should ever stand at the beginning to the track and take that first physical step, I had to decide that I actually wanted to.  Creating that resolute decision outlined the direction to my path and meant I should then locate the means and course by which to reach it.







This example is a very literal method to view the proverb but it shall be used as inspiration, whatever our journey in life.  We all hold a abt travels complete.  Little of us venture placidly within comfortable, familiar spaces while others are more adventurous and strive to hold moving and exploring.  They do this by receiving definitive steps toward what they should achieve but first one is always the greatest important.  They decide to begin and this facilitates their subsequent actions.  The journey should be long and first step shall seem an extended time ago.  The path shall stretch on to the horizon and beyond.  In these times, it is important to do not forget that happiness is a means of travel, not a destination.  In other words, like and have good on your journey.  On the Bibbulmun Track, there wasn't a lone day that I did not wake up feeling excited and inspired about what I was doing.  I treasured the opportunity that I created for myself and savoured the adventure.  When I finally reached the track terminus I had a sense of sadness but I did not cry due to the fact that it was over, I smiled due to the fact that it happened. Obviously I also experienced a huge sense of joy and accomplishment when I finished.  It's important to rest a while and like the glory of your achievement.  Share it with those you love; be proud and let them be proud of you.  Like those moments due to the fact that they can be yours and you have earned them but do not forget that the adulation shall eventually fade.  By then, you will be refreshed and ready for the next opportunity.  It's time to take first step regarding the next journey. The journey that we speak of is one towards a dream destination; goals are what we set to reach our dreams.  They can be vital due to the fact that they break below the overall distance into smaller and fewer daunting objectives.  They let progress to be monitored and an interim sense of achievement.  This was a key to completing the long distance hike.  As I celebrated reaching different milestones it removed from my focus the large task that still lay ahead of me. This similar to methodology shall be applied to just about any of our journeys in life.  Whether you should lose weight, set your goals at a kilogram at a time and rejoice in each one that disappears.  Whether you should grow to wealthy, be realistic about it.  It'll not ever happen overnight unless you win the lottery and it'll rarely happen in a brief space of time.  Earning cash in a legitimate method is a process and takes time.  But as I've already outlined, the journey begins with a lone step that is basically the committed decision to take an opportunity.                  Life shall with no problems release you reasons howcome something can not or should not be done.  To succeed, we should look past these and look howcome something should be done.  I climb a peak not due to the fact that it's steep, dangerous or cold at the top.  I do it for the great view and sense of triumph standing at the peak.  A life dominated by negative thoughts shall only lead to sadness and disappointment.  Twenty years from now, you can regret the things that you did not do higher than what you did do.  Live with a heart of adventure and take opportunities that return your way.  Don't ever be hindered by hesitation and doubt.  Trust you and let your decision empower you to move confidently within the direction of your dreams.  Take first step regarding the journey and like where it takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment